Saturday, April 30, 2016

My Fit Journey, Part 3: Seeing Results & Gaining Perspective

  
I have mentioned before that I started out the with mentality that I would just try out the first 3 weeks of 21 day fix, and then reevaluate to see if it was going to work.  Well, I hesitate to lead with this (because everyone’s results vary and depend on so many factors) but I lost 15 pounds in the first 21 days.
Some of the foods that are now pantry staples in my clean eating.
To frame this – you have to keep a few VERY important factors in mind: A. I was exclusively nursing my newborn, but not adding extra calories for it. My supply wasn’t suffering so there wasn’t a need. (That is an extremely personal call that you should not hesitate to discuss with your doctor. #disclaimer) 2. For me this was a COMPLETE overhaul of my nutrition, not just some minor tweaks. The red wine adds up. D. I was 100% dedicated. I did not drink alcohol, have a cheat meal, or miss a workout. I just really wanted to see what would happen if I was all-in.

(Side bar: If you noticed the Home Alone Reference in the above section before me pointing it out, I really hope we are friends in real life. You get me.)

So, 15 pounds in 21 days is something. It lured me in and kept me going. The next round was 9 pounds. Next round was 1 pound. The next round was 7.  Before I knew it, I had made it through the holidays with the will power to say no to excessive Christmas cookies & NYE Champagne and was down about 40 pounds by Valentine’s day.  People were beginning to notice. 
On the left, September 2014. Right, Valentine's Date Night, 2015.
It was frustrating at times to get so excited when I stepped on the scale and see “I’ve lost 20 pounds!” But people just assume its because the baby came out, or (properly) assume you should never comment on a woman’s weight one way or the other. One time a friend saw me and then later told his wife, “Julie has lost a lot of weight, she looks great. But I’m not sure if I’m allowed to say that to her. You can tell her.” In this case, I wouldn’t have minded hearing it, but I respect his acknowledgement that it’s a sensitive subject.  He was a smart man. When in doubt, let your wife take care of it.

I remember another time, after I had reached my goal weight (60 pounds…lost in about 6 months) and was feeling like a rock star just in time for tank top season, another friend’s hubby said to me, “I know I told you last time I saw you that you look great, but I just can’t get over it so I’m telling you again – is that annoying?”  This friend had recently graduated law school so I put it in terms he could relate to: Do you ever get tired of being told you’re a great lawyer? No? Well that’s how I feel about my fitness progress.” 

Throughout the whole process, the women in my life have made me feel proud to be surrounded by such wonderfully supportive friends.  Some friends wanted to join in and get fit too, some high school and college friends reached out on facebook after years without contact to tell me they were happy for me. One neighbor-friend and her daughter brought over an awesome ice cream Sundae when she first saw a “before” photo shared on facebook (we didn’t know each other pre-kids) to celebrate my progress. (Given the progress was in weight-loss, the ice cream Sundae was kind of hilarious, but the sentiment of support and encouragement was not lost on me!  I shared with my family and it was delish.)
Running a turkey trot with my bestie on Thanksgiving morning.

I just have to take a moment to recognize all of this. THIS: Women supporting other Women. It was partly becoming a mom to girls that brought it so top-of-mind to me but my fitness journey has also highlighted the powerful impact that women can have on other women when they support and encourage. Lift up and inspire. Celebrate without comparison.  I’ve become passionate about it.  If we are ever going to hope that little girls don’t exclude, bully, and chastise – then our most powerful tool is showing them how to act otherwise. Lead with love.  #endsoapbox #butseriously

So some days my motivation was intrinsic (I am feeling better, I am more energetic. I am worth this work.) Some days it was extrinsic. (That outfit looks great on you! Have you lost weight? Congrats on your hard work paying off!) But regardless of where it comes from, maintaining motivation is of utmost importance. Let’s dig into that a bit more next time!
Say whaaaat?! This was after lots of 21DF, some Piyo, and T25 too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment