Monday, April 25, 2016

My Fit Journey, Part 2: Getting the Exercise-Ball Rolling



Holy out-of-shape-Mama. Getting started with the 21-day fix workouts was fun but at the same time, I wanted to die. I mean… where do I even start?  I had just had a baby 8 weeks ago, my boobs were huge from nursing and extra weight, and I probably hadn’t done a steady routine of anything other than Vinyasa or pre-natal Yoga for 8 years. So… yeah, it was an adjustment. I was getting up before the sun, in the season when the days were already getting shorter and darker but I knew that it was the ONLY time in the day it would ever become a habit. (Even if there was a chance I would have had energy to work out at night, late sweat sessions make me a total insomniac).  
Avert your Eyes!  My under-dressed "before photo" will never be easy for me to look at, but I can at least see it now and appreciate the hard work that body went through to get me to where I am today.
But I chose to focus on it as just 21 days. Just 3 weeks. I could make it through 3 weeks. I could give it my best and see where I stood at the end of that short stint in case I needed to reevaluate.  #justkeepswimming
 
My Girl Kat! (on the right) Autumn and her abs in green.
As anyone who has checked out 21 day fix might tell you, Kat was my home-girl in the workouts.  She modifies moves, she does not have a typical fitness-model body, and she makes some witty comments that you appreciate as you’re gasping for air.  The instructor, Autumn, also has some killer motivational one -liners that are expertly placed right as you would otherwise eject the DVD and discus-throw it into oncoming traffic. But you don’t for some reason.  It just works. And before you know it, 30 minutes has passed and you are a fitness guru!  Well, maybe not quite that fast but you’ve made it through a workout and should be proud of your effort!

Then there’s the nutrition portion: without a doubt the most important part. There’s a reason fitness experts constantly say “Abs are made in the kitchen.” #butwhatifiLIKEmybagelshapedAbs?
 
I can get behind a plan thats nicely color-coded.
In general, 21-day fix is portion-controlled, clean eating. Plain & simple. Its getting rid of a lot of processed stuff. It’s breaking the sugar addiction so many of us deal with (carbs=sugars).  It’s balancing what you’re eating – because even if you love fruit but you are NEVER reaching for veggies throughout the day, there are changes to be made.  Maybe it’s not rocket science, but its certainly science, (made accessible with pretty color-coded containers for even the “Me-s” of the world who barely made it through Mr. Wendel’s physics class senior year.)

I’ll admit, even with the containers, getting started in the kitchen was baffling to me for some reason.  Like, you get these containers, but then what?  What if I’m making a casserole?  How do I make it fit into the containers?  
Am I doing this right?
Well, you don’t always literally use the containers. There’s a small learning curve to figuring out how to allocate your containers across the day and how to apply them to things other than a solitary slice of bread (“Am I supposed to squish my bread up into that container?” No.) or boring container of grapes. 

My first week’s meal-planning session took me way longer than would have been sustainable over the long term. But its like with anything: you consult pinterest, and you figure it out.  In an attempt to help YOU to not deal with the same learning curve that I experienced, I will soon share how I plan out a day and even a whole week and share sample menus with you* and how they fit into the 21 day fix nutrition. 

*In the meantime, if this whole 21-day fix thing is of any interest to you, be sure to message me or comment.  If not, just keep using me for my recipes and clever tricks. #winkyface And don’t forget to share my page with your friends #alltheWinkyFaces

No comments:

Post a Comment