Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Just What You Need


There have certainly been times when I got my workout in because I was supposed to. Maybe it was the scheduled workout of the day or I was working toward a certain goal and the workout had to happen - so it did.
After a day at the hospital, a run for mama was just what the doctor ordered.
But today was different.  Today the workout was not because of a goal or a schedule, and I had every reason to not make it happen. But after a long, emotionally exhausting and physically sedentary day, getting a workout was what I wanted. My body was just asking for blood flow, movement, and my mind was begging for moments to myself, a chance to zone out on my breathing and the road.
The better part of our day was spent with tonsillectomy recovery snuggles. Amazing for the heart and soul, not so great for my back.
After getting the kids settled in for the evening, I knew I still had a small window of daylight and could squeeze in a run. It wasn't long, it wasn't intense, but it was wonderful.

That's a turning point. That's a NSV (non-scale victory…a fitness "win" that has nothing to do with the numbers on the scale).  Giving your body exercise for no other reason than because you want to and you know its going to be just what you need.




No comments:

Post a Comment