Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Cheers to the Teachers!

It's Teacher Appreciation Week!!
Mommy, Nat & the Rainbow 
Hooray! for the Teachers in your life and the lives of your children!  Having been a teacher myself for years, there is nothing that compares to the sentiment of a hand-written note from student or parents thanking you for your work. Honestly, no one needed to spend a dime - just the notes and drawings were enough.  There were always a couple parents who made it a point to show appreciation in other ways, whether it was bringing in a fruit tray to the lounge... sending in flowers - the extra gestures were generous and appreciated.  I once taught a family, who, for every teacher appreciation week over the 4 years I taught their girls, sent me a card saying that a beehive or a cow had been donated in my name to a village in Africa. (It wasn't the Global Fund, people - this was legit.) Works for me! Not gonna lie…I did love the Starbucks cards...
Keep it simple.
Fast forward to me being a parent now and I try to do a balance of the sentimental and the decadent.  We started the week with hand-written cards to the girls teachers. Big hit.

I've seen tons of Pinterest ideas for candy bars and cute play-on word notes - but I have no doubt they will be taken care of in the chocolate department.

So, Coffee or Booze?

Call me a booze hound, but a time or two as a teacher I had families give me bottles of wine as a Thank you or Christmas gift. That was always fun…it made their 6th grader feel awkward gifting it to me, but they usually rolled their eyes and said, "This was my parents idea. Sorry if you don't like it."
So this year, I decided to make my own little "Thank you" to end the week for my kids' teachers. It requires no printables or anything too special…just a rubber and a bottle of bubbles. Ok, wait…maybe I should rephrase that...

No comments:

Post a Comment