Thursday, September 29, 2016

Rise and Grind, Mamas.


Once I had it in my mind that I'd be starting a new job, I knew that getting into a routine once the school year started was going to be key in keeping health and fitness a top priority in a busy day.  As much as I wished there was another option, I knew that early mornings would be the most consistent opportunity for me to workout.  In the afternoons the kids have different schedules and activities each day of the week, in the evenings there are often times I can't get away for a workout or I want to focus on family time. And I really didn't want to have to shower more than once a day... so the mornings seemed to make sense. 5am is early, really early.  Luckily, while I wouldn't lie and say "5am is natural for me," it is doable.  If forced to decide, I have always been more of a morning person than a night owl.

The first week back to work I think was pure adrenaline.  I was pulling double workouts of lifting and a run each morning and still having time to relax on the porch with my coffee.  By the time week two rolled around, the new schedule was catching up to me. I started hitting snooze a few extra minutes most mornings, but still getting the work in, though it wasn't quite a "bounce out of bed" experience.  By week 3, however, I could tell the habit was starting to stick.  I'm a solid month in now and I have grown to love the "me time."  I love that my kids know mommy gets up before everyone to exercise.  I love the energy and endorphins that I get to start my day. I love that my 5 year old asked me if I would wait a little later to exercise on Saturday so she could go for a run with me. #hearteyeemoji

When I was deciding on what my routine would be, I made sure to do it prior to the changes.  I wrote down my intentions and reminded myself of why it was important to me. I made specific goals regarding how often, the duration, and the focus of my workouts. I shared my goals with my accountability partners. I can promise you that if I hadn't have made my goals known, there are at least a few mornings that I would have opted for the extra snooze, but instead I answered the bell.
Rising before the sun and greeting the day with a run.
There have been some pretty awesome side perks to my early workouts too.  In addition to the energy boost I get, I notice that my eyes are way less puffy and awake after a morning workout. I get to drink my coffee while its HOT because the children are still asleep.  I feel so good after my workout that I find the rest of my day filed with a string of good-for-me-choices.

And one more thing. No one is perfect. The snooze button may win some days. This VERY day that I am writing this to you was a morning-after-vacation-and-late-flight-Monday when 5 am just came way too early and a afternoon workout won.  Sometimes you just listen to your body.  When you have routines, you can know that this time, you need the extra hour, but it's going to get you back on track so that tomorrow, a fresh start, you're back to the routine that works best for you. No matter what time of day you decide works best for you: Listen to your body, Trust your strength, Dominate your goals.
On the vacation that made me too sleepy to get up this morning, I got in a long bike ride with friends, and a nice run with the desert mountains.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment